The most common side effects of treatments with Evenity include joint pain and headaches. These should diminish throughout treatment. Be sure to report any side effects to the healthcare provider administering the injections.
Treatment with Evenity increases the risk of having a heart attack, stroke, or cardiovascular incident. Get emergency help right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Symptoms of a heart attack such as chest pain or pressure, shortness of breath, feeling light-headed or dizzy
- Symptoms of stroke such as persistent headache; numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or legs; difficulty talking; changes in vision or loss of balance
There are some reports of other serious side effects. Go immediately to an emergency room or your doctor if you have any symptoms of the following:
- Allergic reactions such as a rash; hives; difficulty in swallowing or breathing along with swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue, or throat
- Hypocalcemia (low calcium levels in the blood). Watch out for symptoms like spasms, twitches, or cramps in your muscles; numbness or tingling in your fingers, toes or around your mouth
- Osteonecrosis (disruption to the blood flow to the jaw bone). Severe jaw bone problems have been reported. It’s important to tell your dentist before dental work that you are on Evenity. It would help if you also took good care of your teeth and gums while you receive this course of injections.
- Unusual thigh bone fractures. Symptoms of this type of fracture include new or unusual hip, groin, or thigh pain.
Evenity is a preventative treatment designed to slow down and even reverse osteoporosis in women after menopause.
After menopause, the body may lose more bone than it can create (osteoporosis), resulting in bones being brittle and at risk of fracture from even slight stress. Osteoporosis occurs with high frequency in women after the onset of menopause. Statistics show that up to one-half of all women over the age of fifty will, at some point, suffer a fracture due to osteoporosis. After that, you are five times more likely to suffer another fracture within a year.
Postmenopausal osteoporosis is progressive and will continue and get worse if not treated. Osteoporosis is a silent condition that will only show up as a break. Evenity is an anabolic treatment that’s unique because it’s the only one that works to slow down bone cell loss and boost new cell formation.