Azopt (brinzolamide ophthalmic suspension) ophthalmic (for the eye) is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, which reduces the amount of fluid in the eye, used to treat certain types of glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eye.
Common side effects include:
- temporary blurred vision / double vision
- drooping eyelids
- bitter/sour/unusual taste in the mouth
- dry eyes
- temporary discomfort/itching/redness/burning/stinging of the eye
- eye discharge
- nausea or diarrhea
Seek immediate medical attention if you have rare but very serious side effects of Azopt including:
- eye or eyelid swelling or pain
- stomach/side/back pain
- persistent nausea or vomiting
- yellowing eyes or skin
- dark urine
- easy bruising or bleeding
- unusual tiredness
- signs of infection (e.g., fever, chills, persistent sore throat)
- chest pain
Alcon Azopt 1% is indicated to decrease elevated intraocular pressure in ocular hypertension, open-angle glaucoma, and as monotherapy in patients unresponsive to beta-blockers or in patients in whom beta-blockers are contraindicated, or as adjunctive therapy to beta-blockers.
Azopt requires a prescription. Please follow your doctor’s instructions when taking this and any medication.